What is Ruby?
Ruby is a high-level, general-purpose programming language used for many things like web applications and data analysis tools. Out of the most popular languages, Ruby is most comparable to Python in terms of syntax and user-friendliness.
Here is a “Hello World!” program in Ruby:
print "Hello, World!\n"
What about Ruby on Rails?
Here at Island Technologies, we use Ruby on Rails to build some of our applications for customers. Ruby on Rails is a full-stack web application framework using the Ruby programming language. Rails is based on the MVC (Model View Controller) software pattern.
- Model: The model holds the data structure of the application
- View: How and which data is presented to the user.
- Controller: Connects the model to the view and handles the business logic of the application.
This pattern is flexible and makes it easy for developers to navigate. Additionally, many built-in functionalities, make it simple and automatic for developers to create pages and add more application features.
Advantages of Ruby on Rails
- Cost-efficient: Ruby on Rails is a free and open-source framework. Rails is easy to use and has plenty of gems available and used by many others, which saves a lot of time and effort.
- Secure: The Rails framework comes with default security measures, which makes applications safe from any security threats.
- Flexible: Ruby on Rails has both front-end and back-end capabilities. A single web page that uses Rails for the back end could also use another language like Angular for the front end.
- Productive: Since Rails has a lot of built-in functionality, this allows applications to be built and features to be implemented quickly.
- Consistent: Ruby on Rails effortlessly handles the creation and organization of files within a project which makes it easy for developers to follow, which in turn, saves time.